Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Return of Big Momma

Remember Big Momma (the big spider who successfully defends our front door each summer)? You may remember that last month I tried to relocate her, so I could get rid of the unsightly webs she places all around our front porch. Well, she's back!

I picked Kathryn up tonight after her trip to Iowa. But when we got home, there was Big Momma sitting on the house, right by the walkway to the porch. I wondered if she held any animosity towards me. After all, I had forced her out of her comfy little corner by the door. Sure enough, I could just barely make out the thin strands of webbing stretched between the house and the porch railing -- we'd have to walk through them to get to the front door. I foresaw hundreds of tiny filaments clinging to my body; webbing streaming out behind me. And on the end: Big Momma, crawling inexorably towards the creature who dared disturb her lair...

I panicked. I ran through the web, frantically chopping through the web with my arms. If you've seen Toy Story, picture Buzz Lightyear's "Karate Chop Action", and you'll have a good idea how silly I must have looked. I figured that if she attached herself to my arms, at least I'd have a chance to fling her into the yard when she tried to sink her fangs into me.

Of course, she just sat there, laughing at me. So I got Kathryn out of the car (I didn't want Kathryn "endangered" during my mad dash through the web), and we went inside. I wonder if I'll have to go through the same thing every night...

No comments: