Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Garbage Day

Every morning, Kathryn sees me off to work. Kristin's normally still in bed when I leave, but Kathryn always wants to be out of bed before I leave. If she doesn't wake up before I do, it's my job to wake her up. This morning, Kathryn came into our bedroom before either Kristin or I awoke. She was very excited because (as she said), "Guess what? It's Tuesday!!"

"OK? What does that mean?" I asked.

"Tomorrow is Wednesday!!!" she announced

So I wondered aloud, "And why is that important?"

"Because Wednesday is garbage day. I want to get dressed first-thing in the morning to help you take out the garbage."

Now normally on Wednesday mornings, she watches me take out the garbage. But because she's still in her pajamas (or, as is more customary, in her underwear) I don't have the time to wait for her to get dressed so she can "help" me.

I didn't give it any more thought during the day. But as I was coming home from a meeting at church, the sight of my neighbors' garbage cans reminded me of Kathryn's announcement this morning. So I asked Kristin if Kathryn had mentioned anything more about "helping" me the next morning. Kristin told me that, before Kathryn went to bed, she announced her intention of getting dressed immediately the next morning. She even asked Kristin to lay out a pair of pants for her, and to let her sleep in a t-shirt. I adore my little helper!

No comments: