Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Loosening Summer's Hold

While driving home from work today, I witnessed the first signs of Summer's Defeat: three dead leaves fell onto my car from the overhanging tree! Oh glorious day!

Obviously, I love autumn! And I absolutely can't stand summer. I don't understand it. Most people seem to enjoy the sweltering heat, the annoying bugs, and the high pollen count. But I am not one of them. I prefer the crisp, cool air, the Holiday preparations, the smell of burning leaves, and pumpkin pie.

Therefore, I'm trying to scare up interest in a "Welcome to Autumn" party on September 22 (Lord of the Rings fans will understand the reference). Jeff has already been asked to find the biggest free-standing tree he can for the event. Everyone will be asked to bring some food to share, and a "mathom". For those who don't know, Tolkien defines a mathom like this:
"Anything that Hobbits had no immediate use for, but were unwilling to throw away, they called a mathom. Their dwellings were apt to become rather crowded with mathoms, and many of the presents that passed from hand to hand were of that sort"
If you have any other ideas to incorporate into the inaugural event, let me know. It should be a blast! So come and enjoy the arrival of autumn with us. More details to follow as the date approaches.

No comments: