Saturday, August 26, 2006

Remembering Laura Smith

Today we attended the funeral for Laura Smith, an 81 year-old woman who attended our church. She is survived by her husband Lon, and her three children, Michael, Tom, and Patty. I wanted to share a few thoughts about them.

I didn't know Laura very well. We met Lon and Laura the first day we came to visit the McHenry EFC. They were standing in the foyer, greeting everyone who came in. I later discovered that they'd been the greeters for three years. They would continue as the greeters for the next four and a half years (to the present day). For the first two years Lon couldn't remember my name, but he kept trying. I think he still calls Kristin "Christian", but I'm not sure. Then we'd walk over and say hello to Laura. She started losing her eyesight a few years ago, but she still smiled as much as ever. I think she took her cues from Lon's voice, because as soon as he said, "Hello Mike!" Laura extended her hand.

During the service, they could sometimes be found snoozing in the fourth or fifth row. But I don't think they missed a single service in the time we've been there. Even when Laura was in the hospital, Lon would still try to be in church. Last Sunday (the Sunday after Laura died), Lon wasn't there when the service started. Our church chairman announced Laura's passing, and a few minutes later Lon arrived with his son, Tom. Even now it brings tears to my eyes, remembering him walking in.

Anyway, a few months after we started attending the church, Lon called us out of the blue and asked if we'd like to go "out on his boat". Since neither Kristin nor I are very sociable, and we tend to be uncomfortable around the river, we declined. Little did we know that Lon could be very persistent. He called again the next week, and the next week. We finally accepted (along with a two year-old Kathryn) and out we went.

I didn't know what to expect. After all, Lon was in his early 80s, and I figured we'd just float around on the river for a few hours. I was sorely mistaken. Lon likes speed. He especially likes racing other boats on the river. And on that trip I discovered that there aren't many boats that can beat him on the river either. I'd never traveled that fast (over 80 mph) on water before. My favorite memory was of a race against a boat of young adults (early 20s). We were slowly driving through the "no-wake" area when Lon leaned over and said, "These kids behind us are going to pass us as soon as we get to open water." Sure enough, when the river opened up, they zoomed past. Lon let them get about 50 yards ahead before he punched it. I'll never forget the looks on their faces as we zipped past them. They were very good-natured about it; they cheered us on as we flew by. :-)

And that was pretty much the only time I saw either of them outside of church. Remember, I said I didn't know them very well. So why has her death affected me so much? I don't really know. I just know that I'm very sad for Lon, because he hasn't had to live without Laura since they were married 61 years ago. I can't even imagine what he must be going through. He's the sweetest guy you'd ever meet, and it pains me to see him hurting like this. So if you remember Lon over the next few days or weeks, please pray for him and for his family.

No comments: