Sunday, September 10, 2006

Guys' Weekend, Part 3: The Rock

On RJ's cabin web page, he mentions a rock formation that he simply calls The Rock. Jeff and I tried to find it on Friday afternoon, but without success. We expected that something as grandiose as The Rock would have signs and a Park-District-sponsored trail all neatly marked out for travelers. As it turns out, The Rock is simply a huge rock formation, right next to the Wisconsin River. There are no signs, and no parking lot (except at a restaurant across the street). By the time we realized where we were supposed to be, it was already getting dark. So we decided to wait until Bill arrived, and try The Rock together.

On Saturday, Bill (having just arrived at 5:00 a.m.) was in no shape to scramble up The Rock. So Jeff and I left him at the cabin and went by ourselves. Now, for those of you who don't know Jeff, let me explain that he and his wife Christy have (on multiple occasions) gone on hiking trips in the Rocky Mountains. They frequently go out camping. I was, frankly, a little intimidated at the idea of trying to keep up with Jeff.

Getting up to the rock formations themselves was the hardest part of the experience. We walked up a steep dirt trail toward The Rock, but it felt like we were "crawling vertically" rather than "walking". The dirt was fairly loose, and I found myself grasping at the ground with my hands on more than one occasion. The few trees along the trail became my best friends, because I could hang onto them without worrying about sliding back down the trail.

When we made it up to The Rock itself, I felt more comfortable. I've always liked clambering around on rocks, and these rocks had enough footholds to make me very happy. The view from the top was breathtaking! Of course, neither of us had a camera. So you'll have to take our word for it that we were actually there.

No comments: