Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Seattle, Washington

Apparently this is the year for everyone to go to Seattle. Bill and Jen went there last month, the Carlisle's were just there a few weeks ago, and the Nelson's will be there next month. Everyone I know has told me that I should absolutely love Seattle (given my hatred of hot summer weather). I'd love to test this theory someday. Until then, I did a small bit of research on my own, with the help of weather.com.

I looked up the averages for both McHenry, IL and Seattle, WA. For temperature, Seattle wins easily. In McHenry we go from an average 28° high in January, all the way to a uncomfortably toasty 82° in July. Seattle has much more even temperatures: from 46° in December and January, to 76° in August.

Of course, the first thing people think of when they hear "Seattle" is "rain". Surprisingly, the average total precipitation for Seattle is only 37.07", compared with McHenry's 36.50". I can happily live with an extra half-inch of rain!

Someday we'll have to take a trip out there, just to see if everyone is right. But judging from the data, I'm not so sure I should go... I might never come back!

No comments: