Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lady in the Water

Ick! I was decidedly unimpressed with Shyamalan's latest movie. As I sat through it, I found myself thinking, "If this story was in any way believable, I might really like this movie." Unfortunately, it was an almost nonsensical mash of strange creatures, bizarre "rules" (never explained), and overly gullible people.

But the two friends who went with me (Amber and Sadi) both loved it. As we talked about it afterwards, we decided that if you can really suspend your disbelief, you stand a good chance of enjoying the movie. If, however, you ever find yourself saying, "This is stupid," you may as well just leave the theater immediately (because it's only going to get worse). It didn't help that all of the characters seem to believe implicitly in this outlandish fairy tale. If they'd included a few scenes where the characters slowly came to belief, I might have been able to swallow it.

If you want to see a good Shyamalan movie about faith and destiny, go rent "Signs". But if you decide to see "Lady in the Water" anyway, try to suspend your disbelief. If you actually like the movie, please let me know. I hope I'm in the minority on this one... but I doubt it.

No comments: