Sunday, July 02, 2006

Public Speaking

According to Seinfeld:

People's number-one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Now, this means to the average person, that if you have to go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.

I'm such a baby about public speaking. I was a nervous wreck this morning at church, and all I had to do was pray a couple times, make some announcments, and introduce the guest speaker. True, I didn't need to preach the message this time, but like most people, I absolutely detest standing up and speaking in front of anyone! Thank God that's over! I don't know how sales people, marketing folks, presenters, or professional speakers can stand up in front of people, day in and day out. I'd go totally bonkers.

A friend of mine recently asked about my least favorite college class. It was a tie between Hesselgrave's Sociology class, and that one business class I had to take with... some retired Army general (or something like that -- does anyone remember that guy?) But worse than both of those was Speech class in high school. God, I hated that class!

I've only really felt comfortable with public speaking in two cases (and neither one is really "public"): at work (when presenting code designs to the team), and during Bible Quizzing in high-school (when presenting my team's "contests").

So, does anyone have any horror stories about public speaking you want to share? Or if you're one of the lucky ones who actually enjoys public speaking, how do you do it? E-mail me at MervinBunter@comcast.net. I'd love to hear about your experiences!

No comments: