Friday, May 16, 2008

Prince Caspian

Kristin and I just came back from watching Prince Caspian. My recommendation: do not read the book immediately beforehand, and if you know the book very well, try to forget it before you see the movie. I learned my lesson with The Two Towers: sometimes its best to judge a movie on its own merits, instead of judging it by the book.

This is especially true of Prince Caspian, where the filmmakers radically changed the personality of one of my favorite main characters. However since I was forewarned about the change, I actually enjoyed the movie very much. The filmmakers added a few character arcs, but I thought the storyline was better for it. I cried a bit when Lucy's character arc resolves near the end of the battle sequence (you'll understand once you see it).

In my opinion, Prince Caspian is a stronger movie than LWW. But it takes a few extra liberties with the character development (especially Peter's). Try not to freak out about it. :-)

No comments: