Friday, June 06, 2008

"A meek accompanist"?

Homophonic -- A texture with a principal melody and accompanying harmony, as opposed to polyphonic.

Polyphonic -- Having two or more voices or parts, each with an independent melody, but all harmonizing.

Most Christian marriage councillors will tell us that a homophonic relationship is best in marriage, with the husband a driving melody and the wife merely accompanying harmony. I've always found something vaguely unsettling about that. The Bible says that a husband and wife are to become one. Imagined as a single body, it would seem odd then to have half of the body moving ahead while the other lags behind to support it.

I am fortunate that my wife is able to be more than merely a support for me. Instead she is my equal partner. With her I can be myself, and trust her to be herself. Together we uphold each with our complementary strengths.

"Peter -- what did you mean when you said that anybody could have the harmony if they would leave us the counterpoint?"
"Why, that I like my music polyphonic. If you think I meant anything else, you know what I meant."
"Polyphonic music takes a lot of playing. You've got to be more than a fiddler. It needs a musician."
"In this case, two fiddlers -- both musicians. I admit that Bach isn't a matter of an autocratic virtuoso and a meek accompanist. But do you want to be either? Pray silence for the soloist. But let him be soon over, that we may hear the great striding fugue again."

-- Peter and Harriet, Gaudy Night

To my better half, you are my Harriet: my beloved whom I am glad to call my partner in all things. Happy anniversary, Kristin!

No comments: